Thursday, November 21, 2013

Snowmen and Gingerbread Men

Just a short post to share a few things I've been working on for the holiday season, which is now upon us!  I can't believe it is November already!  It's time to get in gear and start making a few things in preparation for the season.

Every project, so far, has been created with the help of my Silhouette Cameo, which I just adore.  I could play with this machine all day long (and admittedly, sometimes I do...lol).  I have actually become a little more experienced with it to the point where I am now trying my hand at making my own files.  It is very satisfying to see an image on my computer screen become reality whether it be on an ornament, plate, glass block, or in the form of cards.

I was so tickled when I designed my little snowman in Silhouette DE.  He just makes me smile, especially since  he is sticking his tongue out trying to catch a snowflake or two.  It reminds me of the first year I moved to MD.  Born and raised in So. Calif.,moving east was a big culture shock for me.  That first year we had a big snow storm here in MD.  It was so exciting--and a first for me.  I watched as the snow fell.  There was a calm; a peacefulness that fell over our neighborhood. I wanted to touch it and experience my first snow so I stepped outside and stuck my hand out to catch the snowflakes.    A blanket of white glittery fluff was everywhere!  It was beautiful.  That is a moment in my life I will always treasure.  Now my snowman ornie will remind me too.  Isn't he a cutie?

The snowflakes are not my file.  I actually purchased that file from the Silhouette store.  I created the ornie by layered the vinyl on a transparency film round shape, rolled it up, and inserted it inside the ornament.  I added some Diamond Dust for snow.  On the outside, I adhered the snowflakes, added some marabou boa trim and I was done.

Using the same snowman file, I etched a glass block.  I cut my image with the Silhouette on contact paper, removed the extraneous pieces, and transferred the vinyl to the glass block.  Using an air eraser and air eraser compound, I etched the image on the block.  I am very happy with the results.  I added a string of mini lights inside, a bow, and stood back to admire.

My last share is a Gingerbread Baker....again, it is a file I created in DE.  I found this plate at IKEA for .99 cents and decided I couldn't pass it up.  It was the perfect surface for etching and so out dame the air eraser again.  The results surpassed my expectations and I think it would be a fabulous way to present homemade goodies or cookies!  An apron would be cute too!

Well, that's it for now.  Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. are you sharing your snowman and gingerbread files? they're both adorable!

    ReplyDelete