Friday, January 28, 2011

Roses are Red

Staying with the theme of making flowers, here is my attempt at a fabric rose as demonstrated by Laura over at Following the Paper Trail.  I used the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die, a red batik, hot glue and a little Diamond Glaze to create "dew drops" on the rose.  The leaves are by Prima.  As soon as I procure the Paper Blossoms punch by McGill, I will try making the rose again one petal at a time.  I'm guessing after that technique, my rosemaking days will be

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Quick Quill

After another great live Ustream with Laura over at Following the Paper Trail, I tried my hand at the "quilled" flower technique demonstrated  in the stream entitled "Love Notes".  Instead of using cardstock, however, I tried it with some Melissa Frances crepe paper I had on hand.  After a couple of failed attempts (it wasn't pretty), I managed to salvage three flowers.  I hesitated to glimmer mist them for fear the crepe paper would ruin, so instead I opted for a little "Diamond Dust."  I like them!  They remind me of miniature cinnamon


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Flower Power

I had a request to share the flowers I have begun (and I stress BEGUN) in preparation for the postcard project from a Ustream video over at Following the Paper Trail channel.

The flowers are made with organza (I found it at Joann's) and the Sizzix Circle #2 die.  I used 4 of each size circle and then layered them graduating in size.  I then took my Ranger Heat Gun and applied heat directly to the flower layers from above always being careful to move the flow of heat around (unless a crispy flower is the  Because the organza is synthetic, it is perfect for this technique as it melts easily.  It's fun to watch the edges of the circles begin to curl. I did this in a well ventilated room but outside would probably be best so as not to breathe in any yucky fumes.

Wondering how I might apply color to the cream organza, I dipped my cream circles in a baggie filled with Spun Sugar reinker and a smidge of water and what I got was a pale peachy pink with some circles paler than others.  Hmm...back to the drawing board.  I don't know if you'll be able to see in the picture, but the cream flower looks like a hybrid flat cabbage

This last flower is one I've been dying to try.  I first saw a wonderful tutorial on Lin Brown's blog, Yours Artfully, a very talented mixed media artist.  I love her metal work which oftentimes she combines with Tim Holtz embellies.  She made several flowers using aluminum and Ten Second Studio metal embossing tools.  This particular flower is made using the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die, embossed with different textures, painted with a black dabber, rubbing off most of the black paint, and then alcohol inking.  I used a Tim Holtz gear for the flower center.

I will continue to experiment with the organza flowers.  I will be in search of other dies that might lend themselves to the heating technique.  Will post more results as I try out new dies!